Tuesday, December 21, 2010

None But Jesus

     I decided to start a new blog and it took me awhile to figure out a title for it. I was reading in Philippians though and Philippians 3:7-11 really stood out to me:
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith-- that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
This passage is so contradictory to the world's view, especially high schoolers' views. High schoolers want to "live it up" while they are young and think they have all the time in the world. But, as a Christian high schooler, my view is so radically different than that of this world's. It isn't worth it to "live it up." This world is not worth it. Jesus Christ is. As a Christian, I say that "whatever gain I had, I [count] as loss for the sake of Christ." Popularity, material things, pleasing myself, wordly friends-- I count them all rubbish that I may know Jesus Christ! Knowing Jesus Christ and obeying Him is way more worth it than any earthly satisfaction could ever give me.
     Reading this passage reminded me of a song I love, None But Jesus. I decided to title my blog that because that is true in my life. Some of the song goes like this:
In the chaos/ in confusion/ I know You're sovereign still/ in the moment of my weakness/ You give me grace to do Your will/ when You call I won't delay/ this my song through all my days/ there is no one else for me/ None But Jesus/ crucified to set me free/ now I live to bring Him praise.
Jesus is all I need. He, God, laid down His life for me and now my life is all about Him. My life isn't about me and what I want to do; its all about Jesus Christ and living for Him.

7 comments:

Steffen Eriksen said...

Awesome blog Haley! This reminds me of all the teaching from Revival 08. Following Christ is not just another item added to the list. Christ is the list. Following him means actively forsaking all else, and rightfully so, for nothing else matters but Jesus Christ!

Anonymous said...

Jesus is the way to live!
Great blog, Haley :)

Christa Blakey said...

This is so exciting, Haley, that you are blogging! What a great blog title and you are right it's so counter-cultural. My favorite line you wrote was, "Knowing Jesus Christ and obeying Him is way more worth it than any earthly satisfaction could ever give me." Amen to that! This was so good I'm already eagerly awaiting your next post! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog Haley! :) None But Jesus, definitely encourages me to keep living like Christ is the only priority! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog, Haley!! I'm so excited to read more! I can see God working through your words to make a difference!

Andie Dill said...

so glad you started a blog Haley! and it so true, we cant be living it up. we need to drop everything and always run to God who so lovingly gave his son for us!

Katlin Puchalski said...

It's awesome you started a blog, Haley! I love the blog title. Jesus should be our only priority. It's encouraging to see a sister in Christ step it up and blog for Christ! I'm excited to read more of your blogs.:)