Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Maranatha(.)(!)

     Last night there was a huge storm. I was over at a friend's house and it was around 11:30, when my mom called me and was telling me about the storm and how I needed to head home then. She was telling me to drive carefully and be cautious because of the wind gusts. So my sister, a friend I drove, and myself all got ready to leave and said good-bye. When we went outside the rain wasn't coming down to hard, so I wasn't worried about driving, but I was going to be cautious because of my mom's warnings. Once I drove onto the freeway, I had to be cautious. There were gusts of wind that I could see coming and could feel move my car. Water was spraying all over the place and there were puddles which I could feel myself lose tread in. As I was driving though, I just said, "wouldn't it be SO cool if Jesus came back right now?!" What if we heard the trumpets and saw the sky break open and saw Jesus Christ? That made me so excited and we all started talking about it on the drive home while we listened to Phil Wickham's Heaven cd.
     Ever since Pastor Bobby's sermon this weekend, Home For Holidays #4. He was talking about the homelessness of Jesus when He was here on the earth and that was because He didn't belong here. Pastor Bobby said to not be at home in this world. He said to 1) not get comfortable, 2)not get attached, and 3)not get divided. I can't be home in this world, when my citizenship is in Heaven. I can't let myself become attached to things here either because then I could make them idols and want them more than seeing Jesus Christ! His last point was to want to see Jesus this Christmas. Ever since then, I have been thinking and praying Maranatha, O Lord come! I desire to see Jesus Christ and be with Him above anything else this world can offer me. Jesus is SO much more worth it and I want to be with Him.
     The reason I put and exclamation and a period in the title after Maranatha though, was because I am SO excited for Jesus to come back, hence the (!). But, I remember a sermon awhile back talking about being serious about Maranatha. Yes, I am excited, but I need to remember that when Jesus comes back, all the non-Christians I know, won't be going with Jesus! That is a solem thought, because it makes me think about my evangelism. Am I really giving my all to telling others the gospel and that Jesus is coming back soon?! Am I begging and imploring people to repent and have faith? Sure, I am sometimes, but it has to be my focus. Jesus commissioned me to make disciples (Matthew 28:19).
     This Christmas gives me a big opportunity to share the gospel. I see my non-Christian family this weekend for Christmas, and I need to be telling them the gospel. Yes, I have told them before, but have I really tried my hardest?
     I yearn to see Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, this Christmas and I am praying Maranatha! But, I am also thinking Maranatha., I have to be sharing with others The Truth of the gospel and praying that they will be saved and can pray Maranatha! with me!

7 comments:

Alison said...

Love it!! Maranatha!!

Christa Blakey said...

Great post, Haley! I need to be so much more serious about evangelizing, too, because Jesus IS coming back soon! Maranatha!

tamra said...

So glad to read you took heed of your mom's warning to be cautious!
Great blog, Maranatha!!

Andie Dill said...

great second blog Haley! i really liked the part where you emphasized the seriousness of maranatha. not only is it a happy joyful thing for christians but it shows us how many more people still need to be saved! it makes me really want to evenagelize my very best! :)

Alyssa Smith said...

Haley, again, I LOVE this blog, I happened to listen to a sermon from a long time ago by P. Ben, and he was talking about the two different maranathas. Maranatha. and Maranatha!

Alyssa Smith said...

whoops, I listened to the sermon yesterday btw, it was just from a long time ago (:

Cameron Baxter said...

Great blog, Haley! It's so important that we eagerly desire the coming of our Lord, but we must also recognize that this yearning needs to spur us on to passionate and heartfelt evangelism! Thank you for this post!